I went on one date with a guy named Steve, and in spite of that, it's lasted nearly 37 years. I'm a terrible housekeeper, but in spite of that, while on chemo, I do a surprisingly good job of making this place look great. I'm not good at math, but in spite of that, I've done our taxes for over 30 years. I went bald from chemo in late 2000, but in spite of that, less than three years later my hair was two feet long, (though now it's barely nine inches long without my even cutting it.) Not much makes sense in my life. You can see why this blog is called Mylifeinspiteofme. It all happens whether or not I plan or hope for it.
Should I plan to do my taxes today since they're due soon, or should I bake, in hopes that the taxes will be more likely to miraculously get done in spite of me? Remember, my life is NOT what I planned.
My Bible study mates sometimes find it hard to follow what I'm saying, since I seem to live on another plane anymore. Or maybe that's another planet. How can I spend time planning my future when my today isn't even a given? Although there are moments of frustration, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to simply live in today, to not allow future todays to hinder what I do this day.
Now don't get all grown up on me; I'm not saying to ignore the consequences of our actions, or to live selfishly and carelessly. I'm saying, keep your mind focused on where you ARE, and less time on where you're going. I'm finally starting to grasp what Jesus means by His name, "I AM." With Him, it's always today; time doesn't change Him. Today I'm living in the moment. You're welcome to join me.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is my friend Linda writing and reminding me/us of what's important. We know, but we forget. There's no one like her and that's why I love her. She's right I don't always follow her thinking, but she's worth listening too. Thank you God for this gift of a woman.
ReplyDeleteSharon
What kind of profile am I supposed to choose? I'm sloooooow.