Friday, May 6, 2011

Wastefuly Extravagant

Do you have a rotten kid? Ever hear the story of the "Prodigal Son"? You know, the kid took his full inheritance, left, acted like a jerk and broke his father's heart, repented and crawled back begging forgiveness and acceptance, yet not necessarily expecting it. Powerful story of forgiveness and redemption.

I know a man who has several kids, and I'd say more than one could be a prodigal son (or daughter). The kids have heard all the right words, read all the truth in their occasional Bible reading, even talked about it a bit, but nope, they just don't give a crap. I say it that way, 'cause that's the way they see it. A bunch of ****. No need to repeat myself.

I really like this guy and hate for him to suffer, but I guess it's not him who suffers, is it? It's his kids who are on the outside. We can imagine - from where were are - what life is like for the kids. Either it's great and they're living life high on the hog, still enjoying that inheritance, or they're sorry and broke, wanting to come home. The thing is, it's up to them to turn back. Once we've left, we're grownup and on our own. Dad isn't likely to go out searching.

So what changes us? What do they need? From the original Prodigal son story, they need a few things. A Dad who truly loves them, but more than that, they need the brains to know when to give up and quit after they've squandered their measly inheritance. In today's age, it's rare that one can just go out and make it on their own. They need to know when to turn to someone who just might have a better plan.

So, what to do? Well, do you know what "prodigal" means? It means wastefully extravagant. It doesn't meant lost and later found. How wasteful are you? How wasteful am I?

How many sons and daughters does God - yeah dorkhead, that's our "Dad" - have who have wasted all that is given, even just most of what has been given, or just a bit of what was given. Gosh, I feel like a wasteful pig. I don't want to be prodigal. I want to be useful, and worthy. I want to be close to my Father. I want to weep at his feet and acknowledge that all I have is His. I can't make it without Him.

3 comments: