Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Just Deal With It

I just got back from Bible study, and though it was good, with women I really like, one thing set me off. (I do have a reputation for going "off" at times.) The study book gave one example of a woman who was able to overcome disaster in her life, that disaster being a son with, yep, Autism. EXCUSE ME!? I was livid. Let me tell you how disastrous it is to have an autistic son.

At 21, he still enjoys going out to dinner with his Dad and me, where we eat, laugh and enjoy our time together. He does yard work for me (no, he doesn't like it and I pay him, but he does it) when I'm too weary to do it myself. Sam's wonderful sense of humor brings us laughter nearly every day, and sometimes his witticisms amaze us. He painted his sister's former room since I'm redecorating it as a guest room, and I couldn't handle that much labor. He always lets us know where he is, unlike most 21 yr. olds. He stays up practically till it's time to get up, but he never goes out late, leaving us worried. He uses bad language at times, but he has faith in God. Okay... to the boring point.

When asked, he said he wouldn't be "normal" even if given the magical chance to be so. He likes who he is. And so do Steve and I. Would we like some things to be different in his life? Of course. Do we have hopes for him that are unlikely to transpire? Yes. What parent wouldn't answer the same way? A lying one, that's who.

Sam has a Mom with cancer and says, "Just give me the facts and I'll deal with it." And he does. I have a son with Autism and I just deal with that. Life leaves no time for regrets. We're pretty happy in this house, cancer, autism and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment