Okaaay. According to some blog and email responses to my last posting, perhaps I should be clearer. I'm not saying you shouldn't go to church. What I'm saying is that going to a church will never save you. The danger is that today so many "Christian" churches aren't Christian at all. They're social clubs where a few Believers attend, yet many attendees simply go out of habit or to feel good about themselves.
I've known many people who go to church for years, but are not saved. My own father was one. He went because Mom wanted him to. It's what decent men did in Ohio in the 50's/60's. Then around age 65, he heard the gospel in a way that touched his heart and mind for the very first time, and his life radically changed as he gave up his disbelief. Going to church didn't save him; it just led him in the right direction. God saved him. And his 3 believing kids and 1 wife were thrilled!
(Dad used to introduce Mom as his "first wife." It startled others, made her want to kick him, and made us laugh. She was his "first wife" until they both passed away in their mid-80's.)
I've also known people who go to church while having affairs, cheating on taxes, believing in horoscopes and other non-Christian things. But it doesn't mean they can't learn in the midst of their sin who Christ is. In fact, I can't name one non-sinning Christian I know. We're all jerks half the time, saved or not. Thank God for His grace. Going to a church doesn't save anyone; believing Christ does.
I've also known people who never attend a church for one reason or another, yet they are saved. Yes, I would like to see them be aligned with a body of other believers, but for whatever reason, they're not. But they are aligned with Christ. As I've already said, it's between the person and Christ, no one else. Not a mom, a dad, a friend, a pastor, a spouse... no one.
I miss and still respect our former pastor; he's a good man. But I don't miss the church only because God changed where He wants us to be for now. So where are you? Are you where you should be? It only takes two...God and you.
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment