People shouldn't go to church.
Do I now have the attention of all you Believers, undecideds and atheists? After all, I'm a Christian, so why would I say that? Well, I say it because it's true. Church is a place to learn about Christ and to worship Him. Unfortunately, many (way too many) churches don't offer that opportunity anymore. Many people now go merely to feel good about themselves and see their friends.
Ten years ago I wouldn't have said that, but today I have no problem doing so while adamantly wishing it weren't true. After all, we recently left a church we'd attended and loved for many years. From the very beginning Steve and I were identified as Believers and leaders and we acted accordingly.
But some leaders, or more accurately volunteers, (wait, let's be honest - those who couldn't say "No" to a request for help) get caught up and changed by "being in charge" and do things more for their own glory than for God's. It was ugly to see. We wanted no part of it, giving up more and more duties as we watched the "I'm so holy" war unfold, until we barely went to Sunday morning services anymore. And for reasons to be explained another day, they didn't like me.
We left that church but we stayed with God. We roamed for some time, then found another pastor who speaks the truth. Sometimes we go listen to him speak, and sometimes we stay home to listen to Tim Keller. It's been a paradigm shift for us. Going to church doesn't save anybody. Knowing and trusting God does. We're learning as much now as ever, maybe more, and that learning matters. It completes us. Ignoring or denying Him hurts us, like it or not. True faith is between God and us, no one else.
Most people interpret God's word in human terms. We're human, but God's word is definitely NOT human, it's just sometimes for and about humans. So, go to church if you want, but if you want to know God, go to the source. Trust me: God wants you to feel good about yourself, and He's the only One who will take you there.
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hope you found a new community soon. If you listen to enough Tim Keller, you would agree with him that we must be in community to discover God fully.
ReplyDelete