Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Words

Have you ever studied and learned a foreign language? Have you ever heard the Biblical story of how the languages were originally divided? That sure would have been a day of confusion and frustration! You don't have to believe our "tongues" were divided that way (I do and I'm curious to hear how you think we all just stopped communicating) but the fact remains that people speak a lot of languages.

How many would you guess? 57? 175? 732? How about 6809? Yea, really. There aren't even that many nations, and do you know how many of those there are? Forget it, I'll tell you. There are 195. Go ahead - name 30. Ha! (There's legal squabbling over 3, but let's just say 195.) Seriously. No wonder we can't communicate with one another. And yes, the language # includes dialects, tribal differences, etc., which indeed do separate us.

Have you ever wondered why your spouse or your boss or your parents just don't get what you're trying to say? It almost makes more sense to doubt that anyone would ever understand anyone! And indeed, we can speak the same language, and still not have any idea what even a family member is talking about, right?

So, to my point. My son and I both speak English, but he speaks it from an autistic brain that has an IQ in the stratosphere. Yes, he uses words, phrases, ideas and perceptions that would never occur to me. Only recently (after 22 clueless years) have I realized that I'm the one who has to learn the new language.

And it's working. Yes, I still stand by clueless and dopey a lot of the time, Sam looking at me with disgust as I say, "Huh? I don't understand you." (Well, duh.) But more and more I AM getting it. I'm on alert all the time to interpret the words that I now know are not what they seem to mean. He's not talking to a toddler, and he doesn't fill his sentences with explanations of his meaning. He just speaks, albeit in his unusual way. And it's beginning to make sense to me as it never has.

I still blow it and he still gets mad at me for being a dope, but the communication is growing. And equally important, I remember that this whole thing works both ways. I have to be more careful in what I say to him also, never assuming he gets what is meant, and no longer assuming he is rude, or dismissive or angry when he is not. We just speak two different languages, that's all.

While that's probably true for most parents and sons, for the autistic, it takes on far greater meaning. I will never assume he is not bright enough, or experienced enough to "get it." He is. Though autism can be a disability, Asperger's can be a blessing, in that it can give the person a huge advantage of intelligence and perception that the rest of us can only dream of. Sam's ability to see things clearly and understand things I don't get has always amazed me. It also amazes me that he can be so clueless.

It's all part of the package, and it's why we have to communicate so differently. He lives in the world of autism, and sees the rest of us as maybe a bit odd or hard to understand. I live in the world of ?? normal? yet see Sam as maybe normal in his own way. Thank God I've learned that I'm not the standard for humanity, that Sam doesn't have to learn to think like I do. How much richer his life will be as he continues to see through the eyes God gave him, to think with the brain God gave him, to be the man that God made him.

No comments:

Post a Comment