Did you ever think (or assume) that you'll never see someone again? Someone from your past who might have been important, but with life moving forward you simply know it won't ever happen? Then it does happen. How wonderful is that?!
The phone rang this afternoon while we were watching an old movie. Phone numbers show momentarily on our TV, so we usually don't answer unless we recognize it. I didn't know this one, but something made me answer anyway. "Hello, is this Linda Richardson?" "Yes." The voice was vaguely familiar but I couldn't quite place it. "Hi, this is Dr. Hardy-Cartwright." My heart skipped a beat.
On the phone was the doctor who diagnosed my cancer ten years ago, the woman who probably saved my life. My heart was in my throat. She had just left her church service and wanted to know if she could come by our house to say hello. In shock, I said yes.
She'd gotten my note about the book, and was so moved (had she even thought of me all these years?) that she wanted to see me. Twenty minutes later, there she was at my door, a huge, beautiful bouquet of flowers in her hands. Her eyes lit up as she said, "Oh, I DO remember you!" We sat and talked for awhile. It had been over five years since I last saw her (now seeing my oncologist instead monthly) yet I've never forgotten her kindness and wonderful care. Still beautiful, she hasn't aged at all. And now I realize that she is also a Believer. What a small world.
We talked about my treatments, subsequent surgeries, chemo, and Dr. Boice, with whom she still associates. And she understood it all. So, I'm boring you, but for me, it was a total treat. This woman saved my life. And now she's about to read 'the rest of the story.' I was simply her patient from long ago, but she cared enough to come see me, all these years later. Can you believe that?!
My life is so full. My health is so bad. But my life is so full.
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment