Saturday, January 16, 2010

An Ugly Day That Isn't

Waking up today was a mistake. It's dreary outside; so is my mood. The sun was shining when I first opened my eyes, but it quickly disappeared under the thick, oppressive, low hanging gray clouds. Now it's cold and depressing.

A black, white and gray winter day - what a drag. We even stayed in bed until after 10:00 AM. So unusual for us. Blah. Sigh... I've told you I don't do well on cloudy days, especially these dank, colorless winter ones. I need the sun.

Guess I'll keep this short. Wait, I see two turquoise rugs hanging out on the neighbors' deck. That's a nice bright spot. And there's a bright yellow recycle bin by the fence. That helps. Oh, and there's my golden/mustard garden pot, empty for winter, but gorgeous nonetheless. The oak trees still hold their dry copper leaves. That's quite pretty, and cheery.

Well, of course now that I actually look, I'm seeing color everywhere. I'm up to over eleven by now, with more each time I look. It's like a color wheel out there. I think I'm smiling.

It just took some time to see past all the muted tones. And maybe dig out of my "pity me" bad attitude. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Sleep too much, going back to chemo soon, mental confusion due to the recent drugs. I get it. Deal with it and move on. Grow up, Linda.

Last week was so rich, so full of old friends and new adventures. We connected (and are still reconnecting) with at least four couples from an old Bible study from the '80's. Our former neighbors who are now in Hawaii emailed yesterday, a real treat. And neighbors from 1981 are due here next week. What a treat! You can't beat that for bringing back the past.

Guess what? Yesterday Sam had me accompany him to register to return to college. And he paid for it himself. A living miracle. Okay, fine, today is gorgeous! and I'm going to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment