Saturday, February 20, 2010

I'm Too Full

Steve gave me $500.00 for Christmas and told me to buy myself some new clothes, since I tend to wear the same old thing every day and sometimes look pathetic. It's all "our" money, but hearing him say that gave me a blessing to "blow" some on myself. He knows it's been a tough year for me, so it was a kind gesture to give me some pleasure.

That was 57 days ago, and I still have most of it left. Part of the problem is that after the holidays, most items are on sale. I did find three fabulous sweaters for $55.00. For all three. New. (Reg. $185.00) I also found some great shirts and pants (also threw in a couple lovely bowls - just my size!) but I had to stop. I've never had so many new clothes at one time. I feel like a glutton. So, what do I do with the remaining $300.00? And why is everything on sale!? Isn't the economy hurting?

How many people in the world have too much of anything? Outside the USA, I mean. I'm currently collecting piles of things around the house that we don't use, don't need and don't want. We have way too much stuff. Don't you? Then I'll have a yard sale, and I darn well better not spend any profits on more things we don't need. Maybe I should give it all away. Or sell it and give away the profits.

I have food in the pantry that outlives its expiration date. I have clothes I've not worn in years, books I've never read, furniture I bump into, and pretty trinkets that take up space. Why? And why do I have 7 wooden spoons? I only have two hands.

I don't want to give away my three new heavy sweaters; I love them and they keep me warm. But I don't need them. It's not like I was freezing before. Why do I have to have these thoughts? Now I feel like a jerk. Now I have to give this some serious think time. I'll let you know what I come up with.

1 comment:

  1. Linda, as you know I feel the same way you do about "stuff". Here is an idea for what to do with profits from a future yard sale. Check out and organization called Kiva (www.kiva.org). You can put money in Kiva to lend to small entrepreneurs throughout the world. You chose who you want to loan money to and how much you want to loan. I have been doing this for several years and find it rewarding to be able to help a small business person run their business, make a living and support their family.

    ReplyDelete