Thursday, February 4, 2010

Am I What I Eat?

Yes, although I try to be careful, I do admit to eating an occasional Cheeto or M. Is it M & M's if I only eat one, which of course, I never manage to do? And full disclosure...my favorite food of all is broccoli. Gosh, I love that treat! I even like it raw, or cooked, left over, soggy and cold. Thank God my Dad has passed on, for this knowledge would probably give him a heart attack, for all the grief I gave him by NOT eating it as a kid.

There's even a reward for my passion: broccoli is good for a person with cancer, very good! Maybe that's why I somehow found myself loving it, since it wasn't my game plan. I tend to eat it 4 or 5 times per week, if I have any in the fridge. M's? Not that often.

Looking back, there was nothing funny about cancer ten years ago. By now, I can usually find the humor, mostly out of a need to deal with my ongoing treatment. But today, it's not funny at all. My 36 year old niece just learned she has an aggressive, rare form of breast cancer, with only a 20% chance of survival. She is a missionary, married, has two young boys, and we adore her.

I expect to go back into chemo within the month, as my counts are way too high. So, Dana and I will be living similar lives, except there is nothing alike in our lives, other than our faith and her Mom/my sister. This morning, it's hard to laugh about anything.

But I shall. And so will Dana. And we'll move on, knowing each other better than we ever did before. And it's my hope that in ten years, Dana will have a lot to say about her former cancer journey. I hope she has broccoli on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment