Our daughter moved away in late 1999, but it feels like she did it yesterday. Well actually, she did move out yesterday. That's when she packed up her bags, got into her car, waved to us and drove away.
Morgan came home in early June for a one week visit. She learned I'm having health issues and decided to stay longer. She also found out that several relatives whom she rarely sees would soon be visiting, so she had even more reason to stay. Armed with her computer, cell phone and books, she stayed. We got to see her beautiful face for four entire weeks.
I can't say we did much during her visit that is memorable. It was just being together that meant the most. I'd peek into her old room before she awoke, then sit down and caress her... my grown woman/child who still loves the touch of my fingers on her back and legs. Seeing her sit in our family room as she'd read, laugh or watch TV... watching her work her delicious magic on a crumb covered counter as she transformed it into a gourmet kitchen... listening to her entertain guests with her wit, humor and stories of her life. I loved each moment.
The other relatives eventually left. The house grew emptier. Then Morgan filled her car and drove away. Sam went to his room. Steve and I sat in the family room, resting. It was so quiet. Sobs rose to the surface, but never came out. The phone rang at 9:30pm. She and Lady Bird had driven 8 hours and were an hour from home, calling before our bedtime to tell us they were fine. We said to call when they arrived; we'd wait. The phone rang again an hour later and our little girl was safe in her own home. Our weary 29 year old doctoral candidate whose wit and humor never fail to entertain, our gentle child who adores and cares for the brother who never lets his parents touch him but will always hold his sister's hand and let her hug him... that's the woman whom I love.
My days with her grow fewer, but she is with me always. She is never far from my mind, and I think she knows that. She is so much more than I ever dreamed I'd see in a child of mine. The only time we really talked was the day we ran errands and ate lunch in Annapolis. It was nice, quiet, fun. We didn't say much, but when you're with someone you've known her entire life, words mean less than just being together. Morgan is with me always, even when she is over 400 miles away.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Beautiful
ReplyDelete