Monday, March 7, 2011

Go Pirates!

Well, for crying out loud. Not the most fun thing to do, but when it makes me feel better, it's good. I got a package today. It contained a sweatshirt. A red one. A Perry Pirates sweatshirt. And it made me cry.

See, I was a Perry Pirates cheerleader for 6 years from 7th through 12th grade. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine wearing a school symbol some 42 years after graduation. But here I sit in my Pirates shirt. And I feel great.

Some of my blog readers are people who went to my high school. Over the past couple years, we have begun to correspond a bit, sharing thoughts, stories, memories, photos, and concerns. I don't recall how we even reconnected, but it's been so nice to "talk" with men and women who know me - or rather, knew me in my formative years - knew me as a teenager, not as a woman.

I've prayed for them, suffered with them in spirit over their losses, laughed at their humorous stories, praised God for their joys, enjoyed getting to know them as adults. And now this. That they would join together on my behalf to send me this remembrance... well, I don't know how to respond. It's unlikely I'll ever see most (or any?) of them again. Ohio is far away, and my travel is limited with health issues. But they are still beside me. I can see their young faces, although we all look different now. I look at their pictures, and in moments they grow younger before me.

Rick, Charon, Linda, Teri, Jerome, and outside of Ohio are Bruce and Ken. I know them; you don't have to. They all matter to me. Thank you my friends, whether you were in on the gift or not. Thank you for being here for me when I've needed you. Go Pirates!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! And Jack, & Linda B. (different classes), and Barbara - a newer contact, but also a Pirate, have all made the effort to stay in touch. Each one is important. Thanks for caring all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought you were excited about my Pittsburgh Pirates!!

    ReplyDelete