Monday, January 11, 2010

I went away for the weekend to visit relatives, and came back stupid. Well, to be more specific, I came back exhausted (stayed up way too late talking) and with no plans for the week. Now I have to figure out what to do even though I'm so weary. There is, after all, work to be done. Exhaustion is not good for people with health issues.

A great treat is that our old friend (length of friendship, not her age) Eve arrived last night from across the country. What a treat to have her here! It has been more years than we remember since we'd seen one another. She's still gorgeous; me, not so much. Wait, that implies I was once. Oops. Bless her heart, she won't mention that.

This is the week we hope to get Sam registered to return to college. He is nervous, but seems to want to do this. Unfortunately, I seem to be doing most of the work. His IQ is way over mine, but my self-confidence is way over his. We deal with what we've got.

By the way, if you ever, EVER meet someone who has Asperger's, or has a son with it (very few females do) please remember Sam, and reach out to them. (Or, what the heck? Reach out to Sam.) They'd probably love to talk with you, entertain you, or have you for a friend, but they'd never let you know, and never reach out to you. Too risky. In case you don't know, someone with Asperger's can't read human emotion. They don't have a clue how you feel, even if you think they might. No matter how smart they are. Nope.

It might feel awkward, but it will be oh, so worth it. You'll see life in a whole new way that you never imagined. The young men I know who have Asperger's are quite skilled at moving on after the pain of being rejected as stupid, even though they're probably brilliant. That doesn't mean they're fine; it just means they keep moving on. Sam knows how to live with pain. God enables him to cope.

So just do it. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and Sam during this important stage of his life.

    ReplyDelete