Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Winter Weary Land

Okay, I'm from the Northern coast of Ohio where snow in the 50's - 60's was often a minor inconvenience even at 3' since we used tire chains in the winter, schools rarely closed due to weather, and all my guy friends had pick-up trucks with plows on the front, hence plowing everyone's driveway and all the roads and making loads of money every winter. So... this is not Ohio, (MD is so not a Northern state!) I know no one with a plow on their truck, and I'm 59, not 15. I've had it.

That said, I'm tired of being the "sick one" who doesn't do her share of digging, so I just came in from hours and hours (okay, so maybe it was only 20 minutes, but still...) of digging, and didn't even make it to the street. But lifting 8" + of heavy wet snow is not exactly easy. And throwing it over (ha, as if) 4' mounds of already accumulated snow is out of my range. I had to carry it about 30 feet to find a place under my shoulder height.

I wonder if it might just be easier to be a wimp and let the guys be guys. But my guy is almost 62, and my other guy likes to sleep late, and admits he has less incentive or energy than his Dad, so I try to do my share. By now, I only have about 5 hours left to cover my share. Nope, not doing "my share" this year.

Hopefully in about 6 months this will be a gorgeous memory of beautiful snow in MD. And we'll all still be alive and not broken to bits.

1 comment:

  1. Its not just you - we are all weary of the winter wonderland that is the mid-Atlantic in 2010! Even able bodied young people are tired of shoveling! But as with most of life, there are things that just have to be done so that we can get on with the good parts of life, so we shovel on!

    ReplyDelete