Thursday, April 7, 2011

In The Garden

It's happening today! My garden is being renovated!

David is already here. Marilyn and Charlie arrive this morning. We've discussed some areas that need work (basically, all of it) and are working on what new things to add. First, pull the weeds, rake up dead branches and last year's leaves, then lay out our plan. My heart's pounding faster already.

Yesterday Leslie cut back all the ornamental grasses and put that pile of muck in my truck, which was a huge help. (♪ Catch that rhyme? I must be feeling good. ♪) Leslie is a brilliant, humorous, retired attorney with two teens at home who keep her life busy. We're just alike (except for the brilliance, two teens and retired attorney part - and did I mention she is cute and blond? Okay so we're polar opposites) in that we like to do yard clean up work so we can not think about what we're doing. Just do it and breathe, ponder, pray, and enjoy. I rather think she had a good time. Looked like it anyway, and now my truck bed is full to brimming with dump destiny in mind.

I've been online to peruse my options for new plants, but no decisions yet. David worked with our Dad more than I did, and the others will have ideas too. No matter what they plant, it will be more than I could have done on my own. And they'll have fun too. It's doubtful they can finish this all in one day, but it will be a start.

That's what gardening is... start small, let it grow. Trust God to take the seeds, the seedlings, the earth He gave us, and simply do His thing. It's part of why I love to garden. It's like magic. That which I plant is so unlike that which adorns my garden weeks and months later. Smelling the soil when it's damp (not muddy), feeling the earth between my fingers, pulling a weed shoot so gently as it (roots and all) slips out of it's base... it all connects me. I am still a gardener, even when others have to do it for me.

Soon I'll be the plant, replanted in another place, and I wonder what type of beauty I'll be then. Surely, God will make me beautiful, at least to Him.

2 comments:

  1. As always, very inspiring and full of truth - Love you P&J

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful way to put gardening....keeping you in my thoughts

    ReplyDelete