Monday, April 4, 2011

Growing New Life

It's warm outside and I'm not freezing. I've been freezing for months, even on not very cold days. I even walked around the yard today (without a jacket!) with my brother, looking at all the work that needs to be done. I was wondering who was going to do it, since I'm lucky to walk ten feet at a time these days.

Then I remembered my two best friends, Nan and Leslie. They garden! And, they live a ten minute walk or a one minute drive away. Woo hoo! On top of that, my sister, brother-in-law, and brother are due this week (one is already here) and they plan to do the Lyons thing and put in a garden for the slug, meaning me.

Dave will help me figure out what I want to plant - he knows nursery stock better than I do, then he and the others will do the hard part for me. I'm so excited. Keep in mind that Steve, Morgan and Sam would rather eat an uncooked toad than work in the yard. Somehow I gave birth to two people who have none of my gardener's blood in their veins, and married one who thinks people were born to be inside, not out. Geez.

So, I'm excited to be planning this garden, happy to have people who love me who are willing to do the hard work, and content to know I'll get to see the labor of their love while I'm still here. The whole area is currently a mess, full of weeds, glop and other "ignored garden" stuff. But I can see it. It looks beautiful to me already. I just want it to bring some joy and pleasure into Steve's life once I'm gone. A garden is such an extension of who I am. I think it will matter; I know he will love to sit in it and remember.

2 comments:

  1. I know how wonderful working in the soil is. Enjoy watching your garden take shape. Barbara Warren Hendricks

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you could get outside on this lovely day; such a welcome gift compared to the blustery, snowy(?!)days we've had lately! And another precious gift for you to be able to plan your garden, and have loving hands to put it in for you. To think it all started in a Garden! Love and prayers from Lancaster!

    ReplyDelete